Tuesday 31 May 2011

In The Noughties

Okay so when you think of a decade you think of a certain music style, right? The 60's have the Beatles, the 70's have Queen, the 80's have Duran Duran and the 90's have Oasis.

So what did my era have in the noughties? Britney Spears? No thank you. I'll take something a little more.... tuneful.

I was back at my parents house last week and found myself delving back into my CD collection from high school. Amongst the mass of mix CDs exchanged between friends were some amazing classic albums. From Bowie to Led Zeppelin, it was all there. It let me rediscover The Killers. A few years ago I wouldn't have touched that album after far too much overplaying of  every song on the radio. Wolfmother were there too! I'd forgotten they even existed. Don't get me wrong, there were some horrors in there too. (coughMudvaynecough)

 It was during this rummage I stated thinking... what did the noughties actually give us? As it turns out.. rather a lot! The noughties gave us an influx of indie bands. You'll never find me  complaining at skinny jeans and ragged indie boys though! In fact, not only did it bring us Indie but also some whole new genres to love. Think of Mumford and Sons, Noah and the Whale, Bon Iver, Laura Marling. All beautiful song makers for whom a whole new genre has to be created. That kind of folk rock scene is huge right now. And rightly so.

Why don't you go and find an old playlist, mix tape or just have a rummage right to the bottom of your CD stack. You may find something amazing you forgot you even had!

Or like me, you might find this! E x

No comments:

Post a Comment